It’s been eight months since I’ve written here. That’s a long time between posts. Several factors have kept me from showing up.
1. Two bouts of bronchitis, which makes my head hurt from all the coughing. Then I just want to sip hot tea and binge-watch Criminal Minds.
2. Helping the folks…I visit them daily now. My nurse friends tell me I’m making “rounds”, as doctors do. Yep. There is always something going on at Greenwood Place, suite 135. Dad has spilled the White Out, or mom has lost her glasses. There are staples to replenish: Puffs, applesauce, ginger ale, Polident, foot cream, chocolate bars (for guess who?), Nilla wafers (for the other one), printer cartridges, or hearing aid batteries. There are nurses to confer with. Doc appointments to get in the transportation book. Cupcakes to make and deliver. (God bless the workers at Greenwood Place.)
3. This year, there have been many losses in our family – two of Dad’s nephews died. The wife of a third nephew died, and this nephew is now in hospice. A beloved cousin on my mom’s side passed suddenly. My sister-in-law’s brother passed unexpectedly. Dad has been particularly sad about seeing those 20 years younger than him pass from this life. I think, in his mind, it brings his own demise closer.
4. I’ve developed some hip pain, and sitting at the computer for too long makes it worse.
Life seems hard lately, and I tend to demur from writing when there aren’t many joyful things to share. But then, I think…well, this is my life. And there are a few things that give me delight.
How I love these boys (almost 4, and 5 months.) Smooching on them makes my heart giggle and swell. Young life fresh from heaven is the compensation for the strains and grinds of adult life.
I’ve also been blessed recently by some generous gifts from my husband and our daughter.
1. Out of the blue, they gave me a gift card to a local spa, and I had a sumptuous facial with a clay mask and a Vitamin C treatment. I have no idea what those really are, but I enjoyed every minute of them. Our girl suggested I take a friend to the spa with me for using the balance of my gift card, but I’m thinking nah, maybe not. It’s really nice to just get off by myself and almost fall asleep under the touch of someone else’s soothing hands.
2. In October, I flew to MD for a family reunion at my sister’s house, and it was a wonderful weekend. My sister and I are a good team…we can accomplish a lot together. We fed about 25 people for three days, and it was so much fun.
3. The hubs, who works very hard at Home Depot, has been cleaning up the kitchen lately. He mopped the tile floors the other day. I told him he can’t really know how much I appreciate kitchen help, and I’m so grateful. He just kind of shrugs. But…what a blessing to me.
4. Our daughter brought me some dark chocolate malted milk balls from Fresh Market. I don’t buy these myself anymore, because I’m already overweight, and sugar is not my friend, but sometimes…I just don’t care. Why does dark chocolate so satisfy me?
5. The weather here in FL is finally getting cooler. It’s been around 80 degrees this week – YAY!
So…I’m still here, hanging around the Ballpark, living the game that has both disappointments and pleasures. Life between posts does go on.
(Cough, cough, cough)
Off to the concession stand to get some Delsym…