Happy Birthday America!
Several years ago, we received this homemade card in the mail from our son and daughter-in-law. Both of their fathers were Air Force career men, so they remember the sacrifices that military families make.
I pray, as a nation, we never forget the men and women who have served and sacrificed for this imperfect, but still-worth-fighting-for country.
It’s true that freedom isn’t free.
Today, because of those who have served, we can:
1. Grill and burn as many hot dogs as we want.
2. Splat each other with water balloons.
3. Drink too much beer.
4. Display the American flag on our property.
5. Spend too much money on fireworks.
6. Injure ourselves with fireworks.
7. Go online to research anything we want.
8. Travel wherever we want to.
9. Obtain an education.
10. Own property.
11. Say hateful things to one another. (Or choose to be kind.)
12. Attend the church of our choice.
13. Have our day in court.
14. Pay for 350 TV channels and only watch 4.
16. Argue over whom to vote for.
17. Run for public office.
18. Watch the DVD John Adams, the excellent mini-series, originally on HBO. (Check it out and learn a few things.)
19. Sing “America, The Beautiful.”
20. Remember that we are all created equal.
Because, if we don’t endeavor to live in peace with one another, America will become a country that “once was” in the history books.