After twenty years, I’m packing box lunches again.
* When I bake lunchbox treats, I wrap brownies/cookies individually and freeze for intermittent use. They thaw by lunchtime.
* For PB and J, I always spread the PB on both pieces of the bread. This keeps the jelly from sogging up the bread.
* When making a wrap, I always lay a dry lettuce leaf on the tortilla first; this prevents the tortilla from getting sogged up by whatever else is added.
* I always make lunches the night before. If leftovers from dinner are involved (and they frequently are), I pack lunches right after dinner, saving the effort of pulling food out again after the kitchen is cleaned up.
* ALWAYS include an ice pack in your lunch bag to keep food fresh.
Here we go…40 lunches for 40 days!
2. A BIG DIPPER meal (the main item is dipped up with crackers or chips): Tuna salad (with celery and water chestnuts), Triscuit dippers, cinnamon/sugar apples, (coat apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning), mini peppers stuffed with savory cream cheese, and chocolate-covered raisins.
4. Whole grain tortilla PB & grape J pinwheels, canned beets/green beans toss, sliced oranges, and a pumpkin muffin.
22. Quinoa with black beans/peas/feta, cinnamon pineapple, radishes & red peppers, and a mandarin orange corn muffin. (You might be picking up that my family loves red peppers, radishes and celery.)
23. Chicken salad/spinach wrap, hummus, celery broomsticks for dipping, SQUIRREL NUT MIX, and cantaloupe.
27. PB & strawberry J on whole wheat, leftover baked potato/cheddar stack, baked beans, and pineapple/blueberry mix.
28. Homemade vegetable/barley soup in an easy heat-up Ball jar, whole-grain Saltines, string cheese/pitted date skewers, and canned peaches.
31. Potato salad, hard-boiled egg, cukes/red pepper mix, and grapes.
32. Strawberry/yogurt smoothie pop (thaws by lunchtime), baked sweet potato sticks (leftover), whole wheat pancake/peanut butter sandwich, and sugar/cinnamon apples.
34. BIG DIPPER Taco salad (lettuce, ground beef, black beans, red beans, corn, grated cheese, and Catalina dressing), Doritos dippers, and a plum.
36. Tuna salad pita (with celery, water chestnuts, sweet pickles and lettuce) black beans, cukes, watermelon, and a fruit bar.