Happy Birthday America!
A few years ago, we received this homemade card in the mail from our son and daughter-in-law. Both of their fathers were Air Force career men, so they remember the sacrifices that military families make.
I pray, as a nation, we never forget the men and women who have served and sacrificed for this imperfect, but still the best, country on the planet. It’s true that freedom isn’t free. Today, because of those who have served, we can:
1. Grill and burn as many hot dogs as we want.
2. Splat each other with water balloons.
3. Drink too much beer.
4. Enjoy all kinds of red-white-and-blue Jello salads
5. Display the American flag on our property.
6. Raise the water bill by running through the sprinkler all afternoon.
7. Spit watermelon seeds at each other.
8. Follow the town parade down the street.
9. Spend too much money on firecrackers.
10. Injure ourselves with firecrackers.
11. Have 350 TV channels to choose from, and only watch 4.
12. Go online to research anything we want.
13. Sing America, the Beautiful.
14. Attend the church of our choice.
15. Own property.
17. Argue over whom to vote for.
18. Watch the DVD John Adams, the excellent HBO mini-series.
19. Make a patriotic pin wheel out of a paper plate, a pencil, and a thumb tack.
20. Remember that we are all created equal. If we don’t endeavor to live in peace with one another, America will become a country that “once was” in the history books.